Exquisite Outdoor Kitchen Ideas to Make Your Space Stand Out
Outdoor kitchens are becoming increasingly popular as homeowners look to make the most of their garden space.
There are many good reasons to consider adding an outdoor kitchen to your custom home plans or renovating your current home to add one. An outdoor kitchen can offer several benefits, from increased functionality and convenience to more enjoyable outside living spaces.
An outdoor kitchen provides both form and function when sprucing up your backyard. It not only looks great but also allows for convenient meal prep and entertaining opportunities outdoors.
Being able to cook outside means enjoying the company of your family and friends and sharing your outside space with them rather than having to retreat to your indoor kitchen to prepare and cook.
Read on to learn why having an outdoor kitchen is an excellent addition to any home.
Benefits of an Outdoor Kitchen
When working with LIDA Homes to design your custom home, deciding which features to include can be challenging. An outside kitchen is one feature that can take your home to the next level and make entertaining guests a breeze. Here are some of the key benefits of adding a kitchen outside:
- Transform your space: An outdoor kitchen will transform both the look and function of your backyard space. Hosting BBQs or spending time with loved ones in the backyard will become much more inviting.
- Enjoy all year round: By choosing the proper materials for your outdoor kitchen, you can enjoy it throughout all seasons. From summertime to winter holidays, you won’t miss out on an opportunity to host a gathering anymore—even in cold weather!
- Increases livable square footage: An outside kitchen extends your indoor living space into the outdoors, which has been shown to increase property values.
Tips For Planning Your Outdoor Kitchen
When planning your outside kitchen, there are a few key elements to consider:
- A kitchen island or cabinets can add convenience and style to the space. Also, consider incorporating an outdoor kitchen island for extra countertop preparation space and entertaining opportunities.
- Outdoor cabinets provide additional storage solutions so you can keep all your essentials close at hand.
- When selecting materials for your outdoor kitchen, look for weather-resistant finishes that will stand up against UV rays and moisture from rain or snowfall.
- Think about how best to position the ovens, grills and other appliances in relation to one another for optimal usage when cooking and cleaning.
- Choose complementary furniture like comfortable seating options and tables that fit the overall design aesthetic you’re going for with this project. Of course, our team at LIDA Homes will be there every step of the way to assist you with all aspects of your chosen design.
Design Ideas for an Outdoor Kitchen
From choosing the materials and colour palette to deciding on fixtures and appliances, there are countless ways to create a unique outside kitchen space that will look great for years to come:
- Stone or concrete – Consider natural stone or concrete pavers, as they provide a durable surface and bring a sense of style and elegance to the space.
- Wood accents – Accentuating with wood such as beams or furniture can give your outdoor kitchen an inviting feel while adding texture and warmth.
- Plants – Incorporate plants into your design, like hanging potted plants near seating areas or installing planters along walls or countertops. Doing so will help make the space more vibrant while keeping it relatively low maintenance.
- Lighting – Proper outdoor kitchen lighting is essential for practicality and ambience. Installing wall-mounted sconces around seating areas can make the space feel cozy. If you want something bolder, consider using string lights or lanterns instead.
Must-Have Features for An Outdoor Kitchen
Consider some must-have features when designing your outdoor kitchen to make your space comfortable and enjoyable. These include:
- Quality grill: Look for something with plenty of cooking space and multiple burners. And don’t forget about ventilation – if you’re using charcoal or wood chips, have a proper exhaust plan.
- Countertops: Ensure that you have adequate room for food prep and serving, which could include the addition of an outdoor kitchen island.
- Appliances: Refrigerators, dishwashers, ice makers and warming drawers are handy when entertaining outdoors.
- Seating: Weatherproof materials like teak wood or wicker are excellent for your outdoor furniture to withstand the elements.
- Colourful accents: Cushions, plants or decorative accessories give the space a personal touch.
- Covered area: Make sure that part of your outside kitchen is protected so that you have a space that is perfect for hosting friends and family all months of the year.
Making The Most of Your Outdoor Kitchen Layout
Having an outside kitchen is a great way to make the most of your space and add value to your property. It’s also a nice way to entertain family and friends in the comfort of your own backyard!
With that being said, here are some points to think about when laying out your kitchen design:
- Factors like appliance placement, seating arrangements and access points can ensure you get the most out of your design. For example, ensure you have ample countertop space and seating if you plan to host large gatherings often.
- Incorporating elements like a bar area, pot filler and built-in grill can create more visual interest while adding functionality simultaneously.
- Do you want your kitchen to have a theme – tropical, west coast or other? Think about the design and layout influences that you might want to incorporate.
LIDA Homes Will Elevate Your Outdoor Living
At LIDA Homes, we have endless ideas to customize your outdoor kitchen with style and functionality. With thoughtful planning and creativity, we can easily turn your dream of having an outdoor kitchen into reality.
As Local, Provincial and National CHBA Construction of Excellence award winners, we are confident that our expertise and design ability will set your outdoor kitchen apart from the rest. Contact us today for an estimate.