How to Find the Best Construction Company for Your Victoria Building Project
Planning a custom home build, a renovation or commercial development in Victoria, BC? The first thing you need to do is find the best Victoria construction company for your needs. But where do you start?
When it comes to construction companies, Victoria, BC, has several to choose from depending on your location, needs and budget. When considering which company to work with, look for one that:
- Offers the construction services you require.
- Is experienced and has good reviews.
- Has good communication and is attentive to detail.
In this blog, we’ll explore what construction companies do and what to look for when choosing a construction company to work with.
If you’re looking for a reliable custom home builder, Victoria, BC, is fortunate to benefit from the services of LIDA Construction, a multiple award-winning construction business experienced in building and remodelling dream homes as well as commercial developments.
What is a Construction Company, and What Do They Do?
To put it simply, construction companies build or remodel the structures and infrastructure that we all see around us every day, including homes, commercial and industrial buildings, facilities, and even the roads and sidewalks.
Construction can be generalized into four categories. Most construction companies will specialize in one or two of these:
- Institutional / Commercial
- Specialized Industrial
Many construction companies will manage the entire project from the initial design consultation to the final walk-through. Known as construction management companies or general contractors, these companies manage time, budgets and contractors on your behalf.
Others may just offer a specific service as a specialty contractor, or act as project managers, organizing contractors as required.
The type of company you require will depend on:
- The size and requirements of the project.
- Your time and availability to be involved in the process.
What to Look for When Choosing a Construction Company
Choosing the right Victoria construction company for your project is important for several reasons. If you don’t have a lot of time to be involved or on the building site, you need a developer who will coordinate the entire process while keeping you involved in big decisions.
A good construction company will ensure you feel fully informed and involved throughout the entire process, from initial consultation to the final walk-through and every stage in between.
An outstanding construction company will:
- Understand what you hope to achieve and make it a reality.
- Have on-team experts for every stage of the build.
- Deal with planning permits and on-site insurance.
- Organize the site to ensure the build runs as planned.
- Manage contractors if required.
- Communicate with you throughout the project and discuss any issues with you before making changes.
- Ensure building codes are met at all times.
- Finish the project on time and within budget.
Choosing a Victoria Construction Company – Where to Start
When you first start looking for a construction company for your project, it can feel overwhelming. To narrow down your options, start by asking friends, family and colleagues for recommendations.
You can also check professional associations such as the Canadian Home Builders Association for registered members in your area.
If you have never used a construction company before, this 6-step guide to finding the best construction company for you is a good place to start.
When you have narrowed down your options to two or three companies, take some time to find out if they are a good fit. The following are good questions to ask in an initial meeting:
- What experience do they have with this type of project? Ask for examples that are in the style you want.
- What systems and processes do they have in place to ensure that your wishes and budget are retained? This is asking them about both project management processes and communication.
- Are they members of any professional associations (CHBA, NAHB, VIHA), or do they hold any special certifications (Built Green, NetZero Builder)?
- Who will lead your project, and what is their background and experience?
- Do they use contractors on jobs? If so, who are they, and is it a longstanding collaboration?
- Do they have full license and insurance coverage? Ask about on-site health and safety policies – in BC, construction companies must be WorkSafe BC compliant.
- Do they provide a warranty or guarantee on their work?
- Look at reviews and testimonials. Ask to speak with a previous client. Specifically, ask about the quality of workmanship and the ability to address any emergent issues.
- How will they keep you informed and involved throughout the project? LIDA Construction’s proven process uses an online project management tool to share updates, changes, approvals and budgets.
Award Winning Construction by LIDA Construction
When a construction company is recognized by local and national organizations, it’s a positive sign they are worth speaking to.
LIDA Construction has been leading the way in building excellence in the Victoria area since 1998 and has local, provincial and national awards to show for it. These awards have included recognition for their custom home builds, whole-home and single-room renovations, as well as multi-home developments.
Some of the most notable recognition include:
- Dave Stephens, Business Person of the Year at the Chamber of Commerce Greater Victoria Business Awards – 2023
- Canadian Home Builders Association Vancouver Island Building Excellence Awards (VIBE)
- ✶ 4 Grand VIBE Gold Winner Awards, including “Single Family Builder of the Year”& “Multi-Family Builder of the Year”
- ✶ 10 Gold Winner Awards, including “Best Single Family Home under 3,000 sq.Ft”& Best Single Family Home between 3,000-4,500 Sq. Ft.”
- CHBA Georgie Awards (BC) – 2023 – Finalists in 5 categories, including Best Custom Home Builder and Best Multi-Family Townhome
- CHBA National Awards – 2023 Finalists – Best Bathroom, Best Attached Low Rise Under 1,500sf.
- Canadian Home Builders Association Vancouver Island Building Excellence Awards (VIBE) – 2021
- ✶ 5 Grand VIBE Gold Winner Awards, including “Custom Home Builder of the Year, “Customer Satisfaction Builder of the Year,” & “Project of the Year”
- Canadian Home Builders Association, National Awards for Housing Excellence – 2020
- ✶ “Finalist, Whole Home $150,000 – $300,000”
- Canadian Home Builders Association Vancouver Island Building Excellence Awards (VIBE) – 2020
- ✶ 5 Grand VIBE Gold Winner Awards, including “Custom Home Builder of the Year,” “Renovator of the Year,” & “Customer Service – Builder”
- Best Three Rated – Top 3 Homebuilders in Victoria (2020)
- Best of Houzz awards for Customer Service -2023, 2020, 2017 and Design 2023, 2020, 2016
- Proud members of the Better Business Bureau of Victoria with an A+ BBB Rating and Accreditation
For more information, see this complete list of construction awards that have recognized LIDA Construction in recent years.
Building on its residential expertise, LIDA has expanded into the commercial division of custom building and renovations to offer even more construction services to the Victoria area. If you are a business owner looking to create a new space or renovate an existing one for your company, you can trust LIDA’s qualified and experienced professionals to deliver excellence.
LIDA Construction for Your Victoria, BC Residential and Commercial Construction Needs
If you are looking for a Victoria construction company, make LIDA Construction your first point of contact. With 25 years of experience in custom builds and renovations in the Victoria region, our expert team can make your construction dreams a reality.
We pride ourselves in clear communication and follow LIDA Construction’s proven process to ensure every project goes smoothly and to plan.
Contact us today to find out how we can work together to make your construction project a reality.